Location : Kansas City, KS
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be a key member of an interdisciplinary team formed to innovate, design and install robotic automation solutions. Automation solutions concepted will include a full range of mechanisms, motion control, pneumatics, end-of-arm tooling for turn-key cells to be installed at our four North American foundry operations. Cross functional experience and work will be encouraged for development! Work will be performed in a newly opened warehouse space dedicated to automation machinery development. It is planned to be an engineering playground for equipment design and development.
We pride ourselves in our results-oriented culture of innovation and we offer a number of career focused benefits for the employee:
- Challenging, creative work environment in a dedicated innovation center
- Access to tools / controls / equipment focused on 6 axis robot cell & tool development
- The candidate will have the opportunity to work under the supervision world-class cross functional team of engineers.
- Flexible work schedule
- Competitive benefits package
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead mechanical design work to develop new and innovative robotic automation cells.
- Apply theoretical knowledge of design and mechanical engineering principals to design electro-mechanical systems related to mechanical function, structural analysis, aesthetic design, etc. Develop general arrangements, space studies, as necessary.
- Perform hands-on work with mechanical components and systems. Personally, or collaboratively perform construction and test of prototypes or proof of concept models.
- Execute design iterations to create reliable and long-life products
- Translate machine design compliance, design requirements, and machine safety as required per project
- Direct the preparation of design drawings and specifications, and perform required project management tasks focused on fabrication of designs & concepts.
JOB KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- BS Degree Mechanical Engineering preferred or 3+ years of relative experience to be considered in other fields
- High level of proficiency with SolidWorks CAD software is strongly preferred. Proficiency in other 3D CAD software acceptable.
- Experience in designing electro-mechanical systems, control systems, pneumatic systems, fluidic pumps, robotic end-of-arm-tooling, and mechanism designs are all relevant.
- Proven experience working in cross functional teams developing machines/products from concept to fabrication.
- Knowledge of material selection, engineering first principles, tolerance analysis, DFM/DFA, design failure mode and effect analysis (DFMEA) and various manufacturing processes and techniques is required.
- Experience using computational tools for structural analysis (FEA) and dynamic mechanical performance a plus.
- Execute the capital expense budget for assigned projects to provide the company with satisfactory return on investment.
- Study and analyze production equipment, Plant, and controls, and make recommendations to improve manufacturing operation