Seeking a Senior or Staff-level Mechanical Engineer who likes to design and build sophisticated industrial machines.
- Ideal candidate will be able to independently execute the design process, working either as or with a system architect, from concept definition based on (sometimes) minimal specifications through detail design, documentation, manufacturing build and validation/troubleshooting.
- Common design elements include a wide variety of robots, high speed/high precision motorized mechanisms & stages, pneumatic systems, complex process and metrology integration, including lasers/optics, vision systems, vacuum/plasma, RF power, pico-liter and high viscosity fluid handling, etc.; stringent environmental control systems (ex. aseptic, particle-free, oxygen-free, temperature/humidity controlled, …)
- Experience with capital equipment design in an industry such as semiconductor, display, solar/energy storage, medical device/pharmaceutical, automotive or consumer electronics is required.
- Expected to quickly create rough concepts and assist with estimating BOM and NRE costs for program budgeting purposes.
- Must be able to work with, and inspire confidence in, customers, colleagues, program managers, electrical and software engineers and manufacturing personnel.
- Expected to demonstrate technical leadership within project teams.
- BSME or equivalent, plus at least 10 years’ experience as a mechanical design engineer in the design of automated capital factory equipment
- Must have practical experience with equipment design from concept development through build and test
- Position requires excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to work effectively in teams in a technical leadership role
- Must work efficiently with minimal supervision in a fast-moving and fluid environment
- Mechanical design and documentation using SolidWorks 3D design tools
- Experience with additional CAD tools is a plus
- Includes concept development, system architecture design, assembly & detail drawings, bills of materials and manufacturing instructions
- Experience with stress, vibration and thermal analyses a plus
- Detailed knowledge of common automation components (motors, bearings, gearboxes, pneumatics, gas and water components, frame types, sheet metal and other enclosure materials, etc.) is required
- Familiarity with PLC control systems a plus
- Able to design and deliver prototypes to specification, including performance, cost and schedule
- Develop and execute proof-of-principle and reliability/cycle tests as required. Able to rapidly learn new technologies, techniques and requirements on the fly
- Regular, mostly local to the Bay Area, travel will be required for meetings and technical support at customer sites. Occasional travel outside the Bay Area, including overseas, may be required
- Must be authorized to work in the United States